Could you help an arts organisation to thrive?
A&B Cymru’s Young Professionals on Boards (YPB) gets business leaders of the future involved at the sharp end of the arts by placing them on the Boards of vibrant cultural organisations. Participants contribute their skills, energy and expertise and get a lot in return.
In a competitive environment, business acumen can have a major impact on an arts organisation’s Board. YPB enables promising, talented employees (aged 21-35 years) to play a key role in the success and sustainability of arts organisations. In return, they will experience the distinction of sitting on a cultural Board, the knowledge they are giving something valuable back to the community and a creative route to professional development.
Becoming a non-executive director in Wales' rich arts sector allows future leaders to extend their horizons, increase their confidence and enhance their management skills. By transferring their expertise in a new and creative environment, individuals feed back into their workplace fresh ideas, better motivation and a wider perspective.
How it works
YPB provides training, mentoring and support to ensure young professionals at the early stages of their careers fast-track their capabilities through this practical, hands-on strategic leadership experience.
A&B Cymru carefully matches participants with arts organisations seeking to strengthen their Boards. Some organisations look for new members with specific skills in areas such as finance, law, HR or marketing, while others seek an overall business perspective.
Board meetings are usually held quarterly and the minimum commitment is for one year.
The YPB process works as follows:
- The participant attends a one-to-one diagnostic interview with A&B Cymru in order to identify their unique skills, interests and motivations;
- A half-day governance training seminar helps the participant to understand the roles and responsibilities of a non-executive Director;
- A&B Cymru identifies a Board believed to be well suited to the individual. If the placement is of interest, a meeting is arranged with the Chair and Chief Executive to discuss the opportunity in more detail;
- The participant attends a Board meeting as an observer;
- If the match is agreed, a suitable Board Mentor will be identified to support the participant;
- A&B Cymru will also support the participant throughout the Board term;
- The participant will be invited to be a member of the YPB Forum which meets quarterly in creative and stimulating environments. It provides a platform to network with like-minded individuals, discuss relevant issues and share best practice.
Eligibility & Price
The pilot stage of YPB will run from Autumn 2018 - Autumn 2019. It is open exclusively to individuals aged 21-35 who are employed by Business Members of A&B Cymru based in South East Wales. The cost of participation is £500 + VAT per person.
Should you be interested in participating in YPB, please contact Rachel Jones on 029 2030 3023 or by e-mail Rachel.Jones@AandBCymru.org.uk